Keep Fossil Fuel In The Ground
Climate change is having a catastrophic impact on people and the planet. Our future depends on action to keep 80% of known coal, oil and gas in the ground. We've never dad a better chance in history to break free from fossil fuels and build a just transition to clean and renewable energy.
Why do we need to break free from fossil fuel?
- Experts say we must keep 80% of coal, oil and gas in the ground to avoid overwhelming the planet's systems.
- In 2015, Canada and the USA were among 196 nations that met in Paris and promised to decarbonize the global economy.
- The Paris Agreement commits countries to limit the planet's global warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels.
- Limiting temperature increases to 1.5 degrees Celsius can only be achieved by ending our reliance on fossil fuels and transitioning to clean and renewable energy.
- Renewable energy is collected from the earth. Sunlight, wind, rain, ties, waves and geothermal heat are all and geothermal heat are all renewable energy sources.
- Transitioning to 100% renewable energy is no longer an option - we must do this in order to survive.
- World leaders must be held accountable to the Paris Agreement.
- ACT NOW. Make your voice heard and sign the petition to keep fossil fuels in the ground.
- Published: 2017-02-17T14:10:23-08:00
- Author: Harry Cotten